Week 37: The Cross, the Bible, and the Dagger


So this weeks picture and blog will probably not win me many awards.  When has that stopped me from writing what is on my mind.

As I like to give the back story to certain pictures I create, this one is no different.  As I was listening to music one night, a new song came cross the queue, a song called Killers with the Cross from a band called Powerwolf.  Catchy song.  The video for the song is about vampires, so I would not suggest watching it if your offended by such things.  But during the course of the video there was this dagger that had a hilt of a cross.  And it got me to thinking.  I originally thought I might do a halloween themed picture of a vampire hunter but then other ideas began coming into my mind (Ginger and both our Mom's are sooo thankful for that I am sure!).  One of the verses in the song talks about hypocrisy and hate. 

More backstory.  My ancestry on my Dad's side comes from Sweden.  I am a proud Texan and a proud Swede.  Vikings have always interested me along with their mythology.   Many know that I listen to different kinds of music, including metal.  Many of my favorite metal bands, outside of hair bands, come from Europe and the region, bands you probably never heard of like Amaranthe, Delain, and Nightwish.  There is another type of metal that I do not listen to, but comes out of these places that can fall under the umbrella of black metal.  I have, however, researched it because the birth place of black metal was in Sweden and Norway.  Much of it came from youth and the resentment of the church coming into their lands so long ago and "converting" them to Christianity and destroying their traditions and mythology.  Powerwolf, though not technically the sound of black metal, is very dark.  They sing of vampires and werewolves, but also about Christianity, and I would not say in a good way.  Their motto is metal is their religion.

But this got me to thinking when I saw that dagger and I thought of the research I had done.  So the picture above.  In Hebrews 4:12 it talks about the Bible being sharper than a two edged sword and able to pierce even the soul. So let me state first and foremost that I believe that the Bible is the infallible Word of God.  I believe that, as a Christian, it gives me a blueprint on how to live my life.  I believe that it can show unbelievers the way to Christ and I believe that Jesus modeled the way to how we are to live and how we are to treat others.

But too often people weaponize the Bible and weaponize the cross (hence the symbolism with the cross and the dagger).  Instead of showing love or guiding people to the Bible and Jesus, people want throw the Bible at people.  The Bible says, they say.  Your a sinner they say.   But their motive is not to help others, many times it is to "gain another convert" or build up their pride (I saved x amount of people).  Other times it just comes across as hate.  People have tried to use the Bible to justify their behavior and control and used it for their own personal gain.

So here is some truth for you.  You haven't saved anyone.  In fact, you haven't even saved yourself.  Jesus is the way to salvation.  Without Jesus, which the Bible teaches us, we would all be destined for hell.  And your good works, all the things that you think are helping you work your way to heaven, well, they are not getting you to heaven.  Or how about the one where people think that the more people they "save" the greater favor they will get from God and the treasures they are building in heaven.  God loves a humble and contrite heart.

Jesus taught truth in love.  He was not afraid to confront the religious pious.  But to the sinner He had love and kindness.  He did not use His words as weapons.  And He built relationships.  There is no way the early church would have survived unless relationships were developed.

But so and so is sinning you say?  We all have.  We have all fallen short.  You are no better, or worse, than anyone else.  When the woman was caught in adultery and they brought her before Jesus what did he say?  He who has no sin cast the first stone.  Do you have no sin?  I know the answer already.  So put down the dagger, put down the stone.  Stop thinking that everyone is a tick in your book to save. Or better yet stop trying to point out everyone else's sin and deal with yours.

Baa

Off to lighter subjects:

Find Paulio (much easier this week!):

Paulio is here!

FYI, this is my official paper for the photos that I turned into the Photography Contest for the East Texas State Fair!  Next week I should have some results (if any).  Looks like we are going this Friday!  And in two weeks it looks like Tennessee is coming!

Last weeks Find Paulio was hard, for those that did not find him, here is were I am:






Made this weeks a lot easier.  Enjoy the blog and talk to you all next week!  Thank you for your love and prayers!

Comments

Popular Posts