Week 35: Heroes of Harvey

I realize I am a day late on posting, however I spent the day yesterday after church and nap of course, decorating for fall.  But I am getting ahead of myself already!

So this week has been crazy.  Hurricane Harvey decided to come through Texas and wreaked havoc on the Texas and Louisiana coast.  But through the destruction and chaos something amazing happened.  Heroes were made.  It was quite special to see people load up their boats or trailers full of donations and go down to help in the rescue effort.  Ordinary people that were countless and unselfish in giving of their time, talent, and donations to help people they didn't even know.  It didn't matter what color your skin was, who you voted for or didn't vote for, what your faith was or what your social status was.  There was a need and people began filling it. 


So I want to talk about heroes:




And I was honored to be able to work alongside a couple of the heroes.  Heath Bickerstaff is the creator of People of East Texas.


Only picture of Heath I had!

 He had sent out a post asking for donations that happened to hit my bosses phone and so he passed it on.  By Tuesday, Marty had ordered 4 pallets of water but we had to transfer it from one store to another.  Trucks (and my Xterra in tow) we got the water delivered. And it was there at the drop off point that I met Rudy Plaza and his family who were taking the donations down.  

Atlanta, Rudy, Brandy
 We then began the task of getting 500 care packages together.   First we bombarded Dollar Tree.  Seven carts and two U carts later (oh and 4 hours!) we loaded up for the next day.  That was when we put all the packages together.  KETK came out, which was pretty cool getting interviewed, but what was cooler was seeing everyone coming together. 

Approximately 500 packages put together





Rudy and fam loaded up the truck and off they went!  From what I understand when they arrived there was clapping, cheering and just a few tears.  And that was not their only trip.  By Saturday they were looking for more donations to go down to Beaumont.  Had to stop by and help then too!


Here is what I found.  No matter how small the donation, it mattered.  If you helped one person with your donation, it mattered.  Because everyone giving just a little gets bigger and bigger.  You don't have to be a big corporation to load up a trailer, you just have to be willing.  Some gave money, some donated, some packed bags, or moved water from a truck to a trailer.  Some drove, some handed out, others organized.   There was a need and some had the courage to say I may not be able to do much but I can do something.  And I guarantee those on the receiving in were just grateful that someone was there to help. 

So to everyone I had the pleasure of working with this week, you are my hero.

Baa

P.S. Next week I will have some decorating pictures but here is a teaser:





Comments

Popular Posts