When God Answers Prayer

 Hello to all my readers new and long time readers!  It has been an eventful week and there is a lot I have to say!  I am hoping not to ramble too much but bear with me as I unpack this blog that I have been writing in my head and placing it in this post.


So work was really rough this week.  Tuesday was probably the hardest.  In all honesty, before Friday, I was going to vent on my blog.  Those who have followed my blog for a length of time know the struggles I have there.  So when prayer requests came about I asked the group to pray for clarity from God for me.  Should I:

1)  Stay at my job

2)  Start my own business (Photography/Art)

3)  Seek another job

Let me say that though I was not to keen on the answer being #1, however I wanted to be where God wanted me to be and added that as an option.  He has used me to help customers and I have one that is a life long friend who reads this blog and keeps up with me.   I just needed affirmation that I indeed was where God wanted me to be.  So the mantle was taken up and people began to pray.  I was going to tell my parents on the weekend to pray as well since I believe a multiple group of believers praying is a very valuable thing.

On Friday, God gave me my answer.  He told me first but let me tell you how He revealed it to me, it was through something from my past.  For those that don't know my Dad is my hero.  Always has been always will be.  I have always looked up to him.  A source of wisdom in hard times, my Dad took very serious loving my brother and I (Not to leave Mom out she is amazing as well and I have said it before, her prayers to God where she prayed to God not to take me home but to do whatever it took to save me from myself and my addiction are a huge reason I am writing this today).  So back when I was a kid I had a bike accident where I skinned my arm up pretty bad.  Some of you know what is coming and are cringing as you read.  My Dad took me in the bathroom and used a scrub brush to get the gravel and dirt out of the wound so that it would not get infected.  As God reminded me of this, this is what I heard:

Do you think your father enjoyed doing that?  Of course I answered no God.

Do you think your father did what needed to be done for your good?  Absolutely

Do you think what your father did showed you how much he loved you?  Tears streaming down my face I answered God yes.  I could see where this was going.

God said to me, sometimes you go through things that you may not understand.  I didn't understand what my Dad was doing at the time, I was young, but he did.  He knew that he had to clean that wound.  He knew I wouldn't like it, it would be painful, but it was for my greater good.  

Now to the job.  God, in a still small voice, gentle, kind, loving, said you are where I need you right now.  I will be your strength.  And I heard this today, I will be your light, salvation and most importantly, your stronghold.  God was not sitting up in heaven oblivious to my hurt and pain.  He didn't take joy in my suffering.  He was not aloof.  But being omniscient He knows all.  He knows the future.  And as a Christian I am His.  Use me God.  Well, He is.  Maybe not how I think it should be, but who should I trust me or God?  I think that answer is clear.

So I go to go out and work in Lindale at my close friends ranch.  I call her land God's land, not only because she ministers there but because I can get alone with God and He can speak clearly to me with no distractions.

You see God uses me on my primary job, to reach customers, to help people in need, to utilize the skills He gave me.  Even though I don't get recognized at work, I am recognized by my Life Group, my church, my wife and family and friends.  I mean when I get off work the highlight of my day is coming home and seeing Ginger and Sophie on the back porch waiting for me.  I hear my wife tell Sophie, Daddy is home, and the day begins to melt away.  Rain, snow, sun, there they are waiting on Daddy to get home.

So then at Church today, I was approached to do, of all things, putting the podium up and down off the stage for our ) my pastor.  Such a simple thing right?  And yet things like that make you feel like you belong, your helping.  The pastor shook my hand and thanked me by name.  Wasn't expecting that!  Two of my Life Group members are on the Sound/Worship team and have been telling me about a need for help, especially in photography.  I have always, always wanted to use my photography for ministry.  Our last church I was interviewed to be on their visual team but was passed over.  Not for lack of skill, just not the right fit.  I had told them in the interview about my past and you could just see the look change.  In case you didn't know I am not shy about my recovery from drugs and alcohol.  God delivered me and I use that to help others when I can.   I knew my answer then.  And there was another ministry as well, but you can't take pictures there because of anonymity.  And when I wanted to do sound (I have experience) I was needed elsewhere.

So walking out of the church I ran into the lead pastor Alex, who incidentally knows my name.  Sorry to me that is big.  We are talking and photography is brought up.  To which he looks at one of our Life Group members and goes this is him!  Yep, my friends in the group have been sharing about my art and my blog.  God was doing something.   They have the equipment, not all the personnel.  As they tell me their equipment I rattle off I know exactly the equipment and mine as well.  (I have a professional Canon R5 camera, this isn't just a point and shoot!).  The pastor tells me his vision, that we will talk, and suddenly it looks as if I am going to be on the visual team.  I was floored.  I have been praying about this for years.  Don't get me wrong, having been published in an international magazine with my photos on addiction and recovery are a big highlight, but now I am going to be able to use a skill I have practiced with for years for the ministry!

And what did God tell me after?  I will give you affirmation.  I will bring people along to encourage you.  They may not be who you are longing to be affirmed by, I think I just wanted my boss and coworkers to recognize me.  Sometimes that never happens.  But God surrounds you with people with genuine love when you need it most.  And my family, friends, Life Group and church have filled the gap, in a HUGE way!

Something else has happened too.  Ministry has now become my main job.  I am so excited!  I have a job to pay the bills, but I have a bigger job doing what God wants me to do!  There is a peace and excitement.  It doesn't take my depression away, but it sure helps to lessen it! 

I could go on.  God gave me scripture to back up what He told me about the job.  Why do you find it strange you go through trials and tribulations is the biggest.  If I am for you who can be against you?  I do realize that an unbelieving world will not understand all this logic.  I am alright with that.  I just know I don't have to dread work because there is greater work to be done beyond my job and at my job.

 

 On Wednesday night is our Life Group and of all things we talked about thankfulness.  Little Brewer, one of the grandchildren of some of our friends there had had a seizure brought on by a fever.  A scary time indeed (Brewer, I will tell you is doing much better) that reminded me of when Ginger had her seizures due to medicine withdraw.  It reminded me of what I am thankful for and these two pictures came to mind.  The first is called Surrounded by Love.  Many of you have seen it, it got first place in Human Interests.  But it is in my top 3 of my favorite photos.  Ginger is my greatest adventure!  But the pictures surrounding me are of our family.  And my Bible is there, my photography magazines, and my favorite drink, green apple lol! 


This second shot was on the day of Ginger's last seizure July 2019).  It reminded me of what was truly, truly important.


 
 
 
 Last but not least on the ranch yesterday, Jewels decided to ride with me in the ranger and the horses could not wait for their hay!
 


  Yes it looks like Jewels is smiling!  To think I use to be scared of horses and now I can be surrounded by King, Honey and Gretchen and feel right at home!

Hope you enjoyed the blog!  For new comers I always end my blog with Baa, because I am a sheep and the Lord is my Shepard!

Baa

Comments

  1. Awesome message Paul thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy God heard your prayers. I am excited for you and Ginger as you begin this new journey. Will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifully done!!! Thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got an email from a friend that is struggling in life and I was asking God for what to answer him, and you have said the exact words God wants me to share with him to bring hope. It’s not over yet. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts