Week 11: New Flashes for New Photos

Well I hope everyone had a wonderful week!  My week was really busy.  I had a wonderful birthday, even though I worked.  Got home and was able to spend quality time with my beautiful wife, read a wonderful card, eat lots of cupcakes, and shop on Amazon!  Yes, if you gave me money for my birthday it was converted into Amazon gift cards to go to the photography fund!  So my newest purchase, for my birthday was a set of high powered flashes with built in receivers and a transmitter that goes on top of my camera that allows me to control those flashes!  Bonus, I got a set of receivers compatible with that transmitter to control my other flashes.  So now, if I want, I can control four flashes all from my camera!  I got manual flashes.  Different from TTL (Through the Lens) flashes, it allows me to control my flash output to minute detail.

So, of course, I had to try out my new flashes.  First, I had to make sure everything flashed.  It was a breeze, worked right out of the box.  Then I had to figure out channels and groups, which I had never had to do before.  Basically, I could put a flash on a different group and then turn on or off each flash at the camera.  Ultimate in coolness.  So I decided to take some self portraits with a one flash setup:

Contemplation


Reflection

Smiling Paul


Part of the setup:







It was in the 40's last night here so I had my favorite stocking cap on!  You could say it is my portrait wearing cap!  Nothing that will win any awards but considering I was able to get a black background and my flash worked flawlessly I was stoked!

So with Azaleas in full bloom I figured I would take one more opportunity to photograph them.  I only have the chance once a year to do it, so I try to take advantage.  And with the drop in temperature I did not know if they would be affected, so this morning I decided to try a two flash setup.  This time, instead of using my shadow box, I used a black background and a flash stand to hold up the Azaleas.  Here are what I considered my two best shots:

Twin Azaleas

Twin Azaleas 2
And here is one with a detail extractor filter:



We have had a full moon the past couple of days but with the cloudy weather I have not been able to get a clear shot, so I have that in the rotation of shots to take when I get a clear night.  Also, now that I have multiple flashes, the violin project should be able to get underway soon.

Ginger has an appointment in Dallas with her psychiatrist this Tuesday, so we will be off to Dallas this week for an afternoon!  Gotta love the traffic!  Work has been going well, I finished a three day painting project in two days so my generous boss gave me a bonus!  Yep, goes in the camera fund!  Thank you to everyone that has been praying for us, Ginger and I are truly blessed to be surrounded by such loving family and friends!  We thank God for ya'll everyday!

Baa





Comments

Popular Posts