Week 10: Birthday Boy


So this Saturday I was working out at the ranch.  I got to go out into the woods to retrieve a ladder and got to walk a little down memory lane to see a lot of the areas I had cleared out (and are growing back) what seems a life time ago.  Funny.  I remember walking on that land back in 2006 helping a plumber with some plumbing for Rebecca.  I didn't know it, but God would be calling me back to that land time and again.  I worked for a not so good man who had some of the land at one time.  He does not anymore, just owns a house on it that he rents out and that has more liens on than most.  Haven't talked to him in over 6 years.   I have worked for another man who has land next to the land who I still have a friendship with.  He is a good man who is a little rough under the collar!   And then there is Rebecca, one of my closest friends, who I just happen to help out on "project day!"  Project day can consist of small projects to working on the barn.  Gretchen, her horse, knows me well.  At one time I was scared to be around horses.  Now, you wouldn't believe it.  From cleaning her stall, to feeding her, to working on her stall and her coming up and "kissing me on the cheek", she has delivered me from that fear.  And then there is Missy.  A beautiful Labrador who I have known for years.  And Missy knows me.  I pull up on the land and she comes and greets me.  I have a special place in my heart for her, she has been through a lot (she use to be not so good man's dog).  The land has morphed and grown and become beautiful and I have been able to put my little part in that.  A safe haven that is a source of creative inspiration, I consider it an artistic retreat.  I mean, you just have to look at the project that her brother, Andy just embarked on, to see how this place is an artistic paradise.  And of course there is Rebecca's work, which is nothing short of amazing. 

So after working on Saturday at the ranch I came home to this delicious sight:


My sweet wife had been making cupcakes for my birthday, which is Monday.  I bet you can guess how old I will be.....

It is nice to be thought of while you are out working on a barn!  I forgot about the sore muscles!  And since there was a lone cupcake that didn't make the cut for the 49 (Ginger said it was in time out) I just had to taste it!  I've become a big cupcake fan, especially Ginger's!

Ginger's family took me out to eat today.  I think I surprised everyone when I said I wanted to go to the Greek restaurant!   And I got this unique card:


Yes, for a photographer this was fantastic, and unique.  I couldn't believe Aunt Susy had found it!  So it just had to make the blog.  The camera itself looks like a Leica, which is a very expensive German camera (about $2800 for a point and shoot camera....). 

So cupcakes, a unique card, funds for the camera equipment fund, but more importantly, being around people I love.  And yesterday I was able to get something I have been wanting for a while,
a photography journal:





Been wanting a leather bound journal for a while.  It was hard to find one that had blank pages that I liked, this one fit the bill nicely.

So lastly, one of the things I do for a living is painting and remodelling.  I love painting.  Painting with oil based paint can be tricky however.  And you need to have the proper equipment and protection.  So like something out of a zombie apocalypse movie here I am getting ready to spray Icicle (I ended up loving this color):




Yep, that is me.  The thing about oil based is it doesn't just come off with water, so if you are not covered, clean up can be....messy.   Have a good boss that provides us the right equipment.  Of course, the $2200 paint sprayer I am using helps nicely too!  And even though prep is key and time consuming, if you do it properly, this part is quick.  There are a few tricks to oil based, I am blessed to be taught them.  Did I mention I love learning!

So I hope everyone has a wonderful week!  As the last of year 48 comes to a close I am actually excited to see what year 49 brings!  God is good!

Baa


Comments

Popular Posts