Week 43: Acrylic Pouring Techniques plus Fall and Halloween Decorations

So for those of you that have been wanting lots of pictures, today, my family and friends, is your day for that.  As those who have followed on Facebook and my blog know, I have been practicing with something called Acrylic Pour.  It is a fun little hobby and a distraction from the chaos that has been work lately.  And, you never know what your going to get.  You could get a dude, you could get a masterpiece but, as I have learned, there is skill involved.  And I love learning.  Really, the process by which I go from beginner to intermediate to expert is a fun process to me, as long as I am allowed time to learn.  There are mistakes and a learning curve, but when you are your own boss, so to speak, then there is no pressure.

So I did my first commissioned piece yesterday.  Hard to believe in two weeks I am already getting those.  It is for one of my closest friends who wanted Dallas Cowboy colors (white, blue, silver) and so.......


He has already seen it and loves it.  Could not go to a better person.  He has been going through quite a rough time lately.  His wife is sick and he is trying to take care of her and work.  It's hard to go to work and worry about the love of your life at home.  I know, I went through that recently after Ginger had her seizures.  You go to work but your mind is at home, hoping that all is well.  As it should be.  I do not believe, for a second, that any job is more important than your wife or family.  Yes, we have to pay the bills, and we do what we have to, but I believe my priority is to the one who God put in my life as my other half.  So keep him in your prayers, he is doing the best he can, he suffers from depression as I do, so we understand each other well.  Oh, did I mention I work with him?  My first choice with someone to work beside me because we both love God and our talks are wholesome. 

 So I have learned some new techniques in acrylic pouring, one is called swiping.  Here is my first attempt:


 Oh this one was a challenge.  I actually would take parts of it off and swipe it again but it taught me a valuable lesson, that I can work with the paint.  I don't have to settle for the first swipe or pour.  If I don't like it I can manipulate it.  And it actually turned out pretty darn good.  And it has been claimed by one of my biggest encouragers!

Now the second swipe is one of my personal favorites (much like the very first one I did):


 Lightning in the storm I think I am calling it.  This was just one swipe.  And both have some of my favorite colors.  I have another I will be working on later for Ginger that involves some of her favorite colors.

And this is where all the magic is happening:



So Fall has finally come.  Yesterday I was able to get into the kitchen and make one of my favorite snacks:







My first batch of cheese log is chilling and is ready for today!  This is as much a part of my holiday's as anything!  I will be digging into this this afternoon!

And nothing says Fall to me than Spiced Tea!




And yes, it was wonderful.

Lastly my favorite fruit is cranberry.  Hands down.  So, a little early, but I made me a batch to eat!  It is almost like jelly, wonder if it is good on biscuits?


 So each year Ginger and I decorate for Fall and Halloween.  Our white fairy lights are replaced with purple lights.  I love lighting.  That is much of what I love to decorate with.  This year I have a few new things I tried:


I got these waterproof lead lights on Amazon.  The craft soda that I drink lights up with this cool green!  I have a cram soda that is clear that turns all different colors.  I have 16 different colors I can make it, which is fun!


 This year, along with pumpkins we are going to put this out.  I have a mist maker in the cauldron and three of the water proof lights to change different colors.  It was tricky figuring this thing out (and hiding the wire) but I am a handyman and I am a pretty good troubleshooter!



So here is our mantle with a ghost fire light in the fireplace that makes different colored ghost lights.  Actually pretty cool!



 My Dad's gothic house turned spooky with an orange flicker light and a few of our decorations on the mantle.



 Above my computer, purple lighted lantern and a little spider venom....


My favorite Spooky Town haunted house.  The only one that lights up with lightning.  My absolute favorite and we get lightning in our living room!




So our acquisition from Gatlinburg.  This is Pumpie Pumpkin and he is guarding the candy while Spooky flies around the house.  For those that don't know, Spooky is our resident (fake) ghost and is stuffed.  But don't tell him that....



 Okay my little area.  My first published picture, my favorite moon shot I took and my favorite picture that I took.  Along with my friends....


 These are special because my Dad helped pick these out.  Represents Ginger and I and that is Sophie as a ghost!


 The rest of the gang!


 Our hallway leading into the dining room and living room.



So I realize some of you that read this do not agree with Halloween, do not decorate for it and do not celebrate it.  I respect that.  Halloween has always been a fun time for Ginger and I.  I like the spooky aspect of it.  Let me be clear.  I do not like horror movies, especially slasher movies, torture movies, and such.  Not my thing.  I do read HP Lovecraft and I do like reading certain horror books but most of that is the classics.  I am into the mysterious.  I love reading about haunted houses and I love the true stories more than fiction.  I love stories about forbidden books as well.  I like to read about vampires but I am pretty selective.  I have never watched the Twilight series and Anne Rice started off good and then just got weird.  Never watched the Walking Dead.   Stephen King is one of my favorites, mostly his old stuff though.  His short story the Mist gave me nightmares (I worked in a grocery store at the time) and IT was one of the best books I have read (have not seen the movies), but maybe that is because I HATE clowns.  My favorite is still HP Lovecraft and that era of pulp fiction.  Stuck in the 1930's I guess.  And if you haven't noticed, I like to read.  Movies are not my thing. 

When we decorate, it is tasteful.  Mostly it is lights, because I love doing the lighting.  I have more remotes than you know, and lots of rechargeable batteries.  Most of that is Ginger's influence.  You won't find a bunch of skulls or gory stuff.  We like stuff that glows.  And of course I carve pumpkins and we have a certain spider we do each year.  For us, it is about having fun.  But after Halloween, Ginger is ready to decorate for Thanksgiving, everything has a time and place. 


So enjoy the pictures and the snapshot into our lives!  Ginger and I both love you all dearly!  And we will be on our way to Iowa really soon for our anniversary!  Looking forward to seeing my family, eating some good food and Ginger, she is looking forward to eating white trash!  (yes it is a snack)

Baa


 P.S.

 I have held off talking about this at length for awhile so I can gather my thoughts.   I also don't want to just vent, I want to explain the situation but I also want to show what God is teaching me.  Everyone can vent and call each other names, but what can we do practically, as Christians, when these things happen?

 Work has been challenging lately.  Not the work itself, I love what I do.  Working with my hands and keeping my mind engaged is wonderful.  Dealing with people, however, has always been something I have had to work at.  I realize in the past I have vented about certain things in my blog and I could certainly do that now.  I could put some people on blast, mention names.  It is my choice, and my blog, and I am certainly in my right to do it.  But I have learned to step back of late.  I have a place to discuss my week each week with our community group, which is private and I am able to work through issues that I may have or just be heard.

Here is what I will say.  I have been dealing with a lot of narcissism lately from others (more than one) in the past three months.  People say things they haven't really said.  Putting blame on others when it is their blame.  Asking for advice then shooting down every idea brought to them because they already have an idea of what they want to do.  Talking down, being impatient and not understanding.  Taking things out on others.  Being short.  Thinking their lives are more important than others, not realizing that others are working just as hard as long as they do on things they don't even know, even late into the night or through the night.  These things are what others and I  have been dealing with the past few months and asking me why is it happening.  Why am I going through these things?  Why do people act this way?  And the people exhibiting these behaviors?  Professed Christians.

So what advice do I give, or better yet, how do I handle it when it is directed at me?  First and foremost  I am not perfect.  Goodness, when they say spot it you got it, I have done a few of those things on occasion.  So there comes a point where I give a certain amount of grace and tell others to do the same.  There are occasions that you have to set boundaries.  There are times when you have to speak up, stand your ground.  And then there are other times that you have to stay your tongue.  Yes, you may be 100% right, but arguing with someone who already has their mind set, is seeing red, or will take it out on you is not the way to go.  When cooler heads prevail, that is the time for communication. 

I have been put with a plethora of people in the past 3 months.  Some have worked hard and have been a wonderful help.  Others not so much.  But I have to ultimately realize that God is putting these people with me for a purpose.   So through all these things I have learned God is usually teaching me something.  Whether it is patience in dealing with difficult people or helping someone who just needs an ear to listen without judgement, I made a very serious commitment when I asked Jesus as my Savior and gave my life up for Him.  It is a narrow road.  And my flesh would love to pull me off that road.  In the end, all the narcissism, difficult people, unfairness, is not about them but about how I handle it, or specifically how God handles it through me.  God has me where He wants me right now and I would rather be in His Hands than handling life on my own.   He will fight my battles and in the end He wins.  Isn't that comforting?  Yes we go through hell sometimes.  But in the end, when the dust clears, He wins. 
 


Comments

Popular Posts