Week 44: Camera Magic and a Crossroad

So this week was Halloween.  Sorry kids, it stormed on Halloween here in Texas.  It was a gloomy, rainy night that I absolutely loved sitting on the couch listening to rain and thunder and Sophie perched by her window looking out at the rain.  And Ginger sitting next to me, watching Christmas Hallmark movies! 

So I know some of you reading this do not like Halloween.  So look at the following through the eyes of creativity not Halloween.  So I carved one pumpkin this year.  We have a favorite, the spider in a spiderweb.  But did some new things this year.  First, I finally just free handed the pattern on the pumpkin this year.  I also put an incense stick into the pumpkin to make it smoke.  Just part of that creative streak that spiked up on me.  So I ran and got my flash and camera (I know a bit on photographing smoke) and happened to make this fun shot:

Pumpkin with smoke
The only Photoshopping done with this shot was to darken everything a bit so that the smoke was highlighted.  That is the color of the smoke when the flash hit it.  A good friend on mine Matt and I were talking about it.  Skill is involved and a little bit of luck, but the skill helps me get a little bit more luck for the shot!  So Ginger loved this shot.  And I do mean love.  "How did you do that?", she asked.  And duplicating the shot would be quiet hard to do (I could do it but all the stars would have to align again!)

So I decided to get a little bit more creative and insert myself into the shot.  This is a combination of two shots and this is definitely Photoshopped.  Full disclaimer.  Ginger did not like these next two shots.  For her it turned me into something a little scary, not the sweet person she knows (her words).  That said, she understands that I have to express myself creative wise and that sometimes that involves things she may not particularly enjoy.  But it was an exercise, for me, in blending two shots together, something I have been practicing extensively on and feel I am getting better at.  So with that:


 This was fun to do, I am going to admit.  The hardest part?  Getting my right hand behind the smoke.  Oh yes, I did it though!

So the next shot was actually made before the one just above.  I wanted to make myself into a ghost.  Yes, you get it, Halloween.  I was thinking about it this morning and thought I wonder if this will work.  Yep, it will work:


 This one took quite a bit more work and I had to exercise my selection skills, but it was fun for me.  Of course the pumpkin with smoke made the shots I feel. 

This shot, though, highlights what I love about photography, the creative process.  The art of creating.  It is not always rainbows and unicorns but in the process of creating I get lost on that path and, truth be told, wish I could just stay on that path.

I have some stuff going on at work that I could really use your prayers about.  I have some decisions to make and just need God's guidance as I come to this crossroad.  I do not want to go too deep into it right now but it is God's perfect timing that in less than 40 days I will be in Iowa with my Mom and Dad (with Ginger!)!  I always seem to regroup when I am with my parents and I guess, truth be told, just missing them a lot right now.  Thank you all for your prayers!

Baa




Comments

Popular Posts