Week 40: Gatlinburg Stream and Waterfall

Back at home in Texas!  Our little Sophie (who turned 1 yesterday) was very happy to see us!  You could tell that she was very well taken care of, she was happy and playful.  Our neighbor's took extremely good care of her and we could not be more thankful!

So on this trip to Gatlinburg one of the things I was most looking forward to was a hike to a waterfall.  I even bought a special filter so that I would be able to get smooth water.  So after a few practice shots on some smaller streams, a 1.3 mile hike, we made it to the waterfall and so began my trip into the middle of the stream to take my shots:

This was the waterfall

And this was the stream leading up to the waterfall:

Stream to Waterfall

It made hauling close to 20 pounds of equipment (including tripod, camera, and lens) very worth it.  And made a memory too.  After the waterfall shot I moved down to take another shot.  Sometimes you need to quit while your ahead!  As I was setting up I slipped and the filter, apparently not on tightly, fell off the lens!  Better the $45 filter than the $1500 lens!  Anyway, lots of people helped look for the lens but it was gone.  Good thing I had taken all the shots I needed!  Since there were 7 of us going up the mountain, it was great being able to take my time in going up and taking lots of pictures (and more will be posted in the future!).

And at the cabin, we had a beautiful orb weaver and it's web:


Our neighbors were so curious as to what I was taking a picture of that they came to ask.  This was a fun spider to photograph too, but it was skittish.  If I got too close it would run up to the top of the web by the cabin.  But in the evening it would open up and I could get closer.  So with my manual flash and balancing on a hill, I got this shot.

I was able to get up early each morning and watch the sun rise.  This shot of the rocking chair just happened to inspire me:



And then my better half who made this vacation such a blast!


Everyone loved her T-shirt! 

So I have about 400 pictures to go through.  These 5 were the one's I knew I had the shot.  Ginger wants the stream picture above framed in our house.  Hard to believe that was the first time for me using a neutral density filter!  But I have the bug now.  I am looking for waterfalls and streams near us now!  Of course I will have to get another filter, but that was a small price to pay for that shot!  Well Ginger is cooking dinner and I am tired from Sophie getting me up at 5 am this morning!  I pray everyone is doing well, and I will have more pictures coming especially from Luminights from Dollywood!  Till then, lots of love to ya'll!

Baa

Comments

Popular Posts