Week 33: Passion Flowers, Butterflies and Bees

Hello to all my family and friends alike.  It has been a pretty good week.  Ginger is adjusting nicely to her domesticated life and is starting to get a structure together.  We did have one little episode, but that was because as she was working on something it became overwhelming because of how many choices were possible with decisions she was making and it became a type of obsession that she had a hard time turning her brain off on.  But where something like this would happen at work and propel her into a spiral downward, I was able to help bring things back to a more manageable task.  Through it all, she did not need extra medication, which is such a fantastic type of progress.  In fact she saw her doctor this week, and her mom was gracious enough to go with her, and it went really well.  Not only did her doctor agree with her quitting her job but it is going to allow her to go down on a couple of medications without the stress of a job.  God continues to guide us each step.  If we can get one medication down to the level it was at when we got married and off another entirely I believe Ginger's quality of life will improve more than it has already.  Please don't get me wrong, I am a big believer in medication.  But if it is not needed then I believe slowly getting off what is not needed is a good decision.  God continues to guide us in this area and we ask for continued prayers.

Work for me has been going well.  I was on one job for the most part all last week.  Which is good because I can be there from start to finish.  It has exposed the fact, however, that I need a newer phone.  With my increased responsibility I need to be able to take better pictures of our work and be able to connect to my boss and our suppliers when I am out in places without good reception (which new phones would be able to connect too).  So begins my quest for a new phone.  I actually toyed with the idea of an Apple phone but I must admit, I love the customization of android phones.  But, as Ginger will tell you, I research extensively before I make a buy.  For those wondering, I have had money set aside for a new phone even before Ginger quit. 

I am super excited to announce that Ginger and I will be going to Iowa in December to see my parents!  It is a roll of the dice on whether we have snow or not (Ginger would love it).  For me, I get to see my parents!  And since it will be around the holiday's, it is just gonna be a lot of fun! 

So this week I have photographs galore.  Bit of a back story.  The job I was on had a lattice that had vines all over it.  When the sun started coming up fully an amazing thing happened.  These flowers began to open up.  Thank you to Becky for telling me what they were, Passion Flowers.  A certain butterfly would come around at lunch time along with a certain bee and bugs.  I wanted to take these hand held to show others that you can take great shots with just your camera and a little bit of patience.  Sometimes I would have to stay still in the sun's heat for a few minutes till the wind died down and the butterfly or bee got in the right spot.  Worth every lunch minutes!  So how about some pictures?

Passion Flower:  More details than below


The one taken on the first day in the same focal plane as above

So this little fella was so very much active.  This was my biggest challenge taking a picture of this beautiful insect:

Monarch






Monarch on Passion Flower
This was the only shot of the butterfly I could get on a flower that was sharp.

The next shots are of the bee and it was being a little more cooperative.  If you look close you can see it is covered in pollen:

Passion Flower with Bee
Oblivious of the Camera
And then there were these little bugs that were around.  This one was quite photogenic and did not have a problem with me getting up close.

Whatcha doin?

I cannot tell you how happy I was taking these pictures.  All together through my week lunches I took 85 shots to get these shots.  That is the part that most people do not talk about.  It takes a lot of trial and error.  And I used Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority and Manual modes to get all these.  No tripod was used, all natural light and in one instance my ladder to stand on.  Very minimal Photoshopping as well, just a few tweaks for color, sharpness, and cropping. 

Well Ginger is working out now and I am ready to go find some lunch.  Hope everyone is having a good week, thank you for all your prayers, keep them coming! 

Baa

Find Paulio (Yes, I have not forgotten!)


Comments

Popular Posts