Week 16: Touch the Sky

So it is not a secret that I listen to all sorts of music.  Someone in my community group told me about E Nomine, a German Techno Band which I have quite enjoyed.  All the lyrics are in German, much like Rammstein, and I love it.  But this post is not about German bands or Germany for that matter it is about a praise song. 

I have loved the music from Hillsong United for a while.  I enjoy much of their old stuff and when I was going to Christ for the Nations on Friday nights once a month the music was quite similar.  But when I heard Touch the Sky my heart so resonated with the song.  "I got so high to fall so far" is a lyric that has so many meanings for me.  But the one line that got me was "I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground."  So true.  When I hit my knees in honest prayer and just reach my hand up, I touch the sky, I reach into heaven, and I get comfort, direction, guidance, peace, correction, but most important love.  And so that has inspired this picture (Mom, you were the first to hear about this idea!).

Ginger's favorite with the blue sky showing


I like the Black and White

So this is taken in my studio.  My studio is my place of solace.  It has four huge windows that I can look out and see the world.  Or, if I choose, I can close the curtains and be in my own little world.  It is where I take my studio shots, it is where I brainstorm for new ideas, and it is the room I most get alone with God.  I have redecorated several times and it went from a drawing studio to a photography studio when I got into photography.  I have had some long talks with God here.  And it is where, for the most part, I can leave depression at the door and immerse myself in my craft. 

I envisioned this shot several months ago, but just had not figured out how I was going to do it.  I actually used a 3 flash setup and go creative with umbrellas and a soft box.  The blur is done in Photoshop, I wanted to kind of pop out of the scene.  And as the lyrics go, "Everything I am, reaching out, I surrender".

So I have written for the past several weeks on addiction and recovery.  Pretty heavy stuff.  I've put up some pretty provocative photos for people to think, I am not shy about talking about the dangers of addiction.  I have also talked about how hard work recovery is.  So I was asked, why bother, if it is so hard what are the rewards?  After all, I get a reward when I drink or use, I get a high.

Well, first and foremost let me tell you about this morning.  I woke up.  I wasn't shaking from withdraw.  The first thing on my mind wasn't, do I have anything to drink or use, or what do I have to do to get that.  After all Sunday's were hard, you could not get alcohol till 12.  I woke up in my right mind.  I looked over and saw my beautiful wife sleeping peacefully and thought about how happily married we have been for over 8 years, and our love continues to deepen and grow, if that is possible.  Our newest addition, our fur daughter, comes bouncing up the bed to give me my morning kisses.  I get up and do the normal things I do on Sunday, getting ready to go to church.  

The things on my mind this morning?  My afternoon photoshoot to make the picture I was going to make.  Making sure I got my wife up in time for the early service.  Feeding the dog.  You may think these things are mundane.  But to a recovering addict they are a joy.  It is normalcy.  I have a wonderful Mom and Dad who love and encourage me constantly.  I have a relationship with my brother again.  I am married to the love of my life.  I have a wonderful job that only God could have dreamed up in giving me, and a home that in my wildest imagination I never thought I could have lived in.  But God is good.  Yes, recovery is hard work.  It is not perfect work, there will be ups and downs, but the "perks" or "rewards" do come.  I have had to deal with the consequences of my choices but God has shined His light on a straight path and shown me mercy and grace.  

When I first got into recovery my words meant nothing, my actions did.  It was getting up each morning and doing the right thing, no matter how hard that might be.  I have worked hard jobs, worked for some not so nice people, been taken advantage of work wise.  I have worked in ministry (and still do) and been hurt by some of those people.  But with the tools I learned in recovery I was able to weather those storms to get to where I am at today.  Let me state this.  I am not perfect.  I still make mistakes.  But as we so often say in recovery, God is not done with me yet!

So going through some old pictures I came across this picture from 8 years ago.  Ginger and I.  Funny, my hair is that long again.  I love this picture, my wife looks so happy and content and beautiful.  And she still is....


I think I want to frame this one.  Interestingly enough this was not taken with my DSLR, but my camera before that. 

And lastly, well, I have been putting up pictures of flowers lately.  But with flowers (and I know my Mom has been enjoying them) comes another thing I love to take pictures of....bugs.....

Eyed Elater

This is a clicking beetle known as the Eyed Elater.  Those are false eyes, if you zoom in you can see it's beady little eyes.  So even though I like taking pictures of flowers Mom, I am still a guy and I am still fascinated with bugs!  Now I need to decide whether to get the super macro lens I have had my eye on or the Samsung S9 +, decisions, decisions.....

Thank you for everyone who reads this blog and for your encouraging words.  Many of you inspire me to continue photographing, blogging, and living this thing we call life.  I may never get a 1,000,000 views but that has never been my goal.  My goal has always been if I can help just one person then my photos and my blog are worth it.  I have attached the lyrics to touch the sky below, I do encourage you to listen to it.

Baa


Touch the Sky
What fortune lies beyond the stars
Those dazzling heights too vast to climb
I got so high to fall so far
But I found heaven as love swept low
My heart beating, my soul breathing
I found my life when I laid it down
Upward falling, spirit soaring
I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground
What treasure waits within Your scars
The gift of freedom gold can't buy
I bought the world and sold my heart
You traded heaven to have me again
My heart beating, my soul breathing
I found my life when I laid it down
Upward falling, spirit soaring
I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground
Find me here at Your feet again
Everything I am, reaching out, I surrender
Come sweep me up in Your love again
And my soul will dance
On the wings of forever
Find me here at Your feet again
Everything I am, reaching out, I surrender
Come sweep me up in Your love again
And my soul will dance
On the wings of forever
My heart beating, my soul breathing
I found my life when I laid it down
Upward falling, spirit soaring
 
I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground
My heart beating, my soul breathing
I found my life when I laid it down
Upward falling, spirit soaring
 
I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground
Find me here at Your feet again
Everything I am, reaching out I surrender
Come sweep me up in Your love again
And my soul will dance
 
On the wings of forever
Upward falling, spirit soaring
I touch the sky
 When my knees hit the ground
Songwriters: Dylan G Thomas / Joel T Houston / Michael G Chislett
Touch the Sky lyrics © Capitol Christian Music Group






 

Comments

Popular Posts