Week 14: Blue Bonnets and Crimson Clovers

So I have my Mom to thank.  Having talked to her on Easter I had already decided to take pictures of azalea's.  But with my trajectory changing I began to look around.  Spring is coming here and the flowers are blooming.  The cardinals and robins are coming out.  This time last year I was looking around at different flowers that I had taken pictures of in my studio.  So I began looking around.  Here in East Texas there are very few places where Blue Bonnets bloom.  The soil isn't right around here.  But on my way to a job I could not believe my eyes when I saw a small patch.  One of the few times I did not have my camera. So the next day, camera bag loaded, I set off at lunch to see if I could get some pictures and maybe get a couple for my studio.  This is another one of those, on the bucket list couple of photos:

Texas Blue Bonnet

Blue Bonnet in field
For a few years I have been wanting to get these shots.  I cannot tell you the excitement I felt as I was taking these photos.  Simple pleasures.

So one of my favorite flowers at this time is the Crimson Clover.  Last year I tried to pull a couple for the studio but by the time I got home they had gone limp.  So I tried something different this year and it worked wonderfully (instead of planting them in dirt I put them in a container of water, put them inside, and placed them next to a sunlit window). 

So first, the shot from the field (again this was another at lunch escapade). 






And then, of course, had to bring some home into the studio for some flash shots:

My favorite

Ginger's favorite


My second favorite

So last week I talked about the azalea's I planted in front of our abode.  So I was digging through some old digital photos and came across these photos:



So before the azaela's could be planted I had to cut out the bushes that were there first and then I had to take out the roots.  This was a long and hard process but one that was necessary if the new azalea bushes were going to flourish.  But with that work done, the new bushes could be put in.






So recovery is like this (Cmon, you knew I would tie SOMETHING into this!).  When we get into recovery there are many bad habits we were in, wrong thinking we had.  So when we approach recovery we have to uproot all that.  It can be a long and painful process sometime but it is necessary.  We have to replace the bad roots, dead roots, with thriving roots.  And it takes time.  It took two or three years for the buds to start blooming on our plants.  But through hard work (and watering through a summer that saw 80+ 100 degree or higher days), our plants thrive.  Maintenance of them now is minimal, but still necessary.  It is just upkeep now. 

And I just have to share this.  After my last post my Mom sent me an email.  She said, No such things as hopeless cases.  Yes Mom, I believe that too.  With encouragement like that it is not hard to see why I am where I am today.

Baa

P.S.

Since I am showing old pictures here is a blast from the past....

Before
After 


Comments

Popular Posts