Week 19-22: Canon R5 Photography and Weird Tales

 Welcome one and all!  Good to see you old friends of the blog and new!  I has been awhile (May 2nd) since I have blogged.  I took a sabbatical.  After receiving my new camera I decided to learn it for a bit and just take some time off from social media.  I have lurked a few times but really I just wanted some time away.  That does not mean I have not been taking pictures.  I have taken about 400 pictures (not including what I deleted right off) so I am starting to get the hang of this new device.

Lots to learn, of course, but nothing I am not up to the challenge for.  And as I learn the in's and out's of my camera I have come to one conclusion, this thing is a beast!  One of the main reasons I wanted this camera was for faster auto focus.  I got that overflowing.  And with eye tracking, people tracking, animal tracking to name a few things I have had my hands full!  Since this is a place where I share my photos, let us begin:



This camera is not retired, it just won't be used as much as the new one.  It is the camera that saw my first photograph published, first award won, and many other accomplishments.  It has a special place in my heart.  

But one thing the old camera could not do was eye track.  Josie was a good model to show how fast and accurate it is.  Of course it helps having a fast piece of glass attached to it!




She absolutely adores Sophie!

And of course there are squirrels and birds.  The shot of all the birds shows how the camera tracked a moving bird and got it's face tack sharp.  Amazing.




With around 56 Megapixels per RAW shot I can crop and still get very detailed.  

So last weekend we took a mini vacation.  I actually took a couple of days off.  We went to this wonderful bed and breakfast in Waxahachie.  I needed the vacation to get away from work, from stress, basically from Tyler for a little bit.  There was a threat of rain but we got very little.  But it did allow for some dramatic photos.  FYI, I LOVE visiting small towns.  now Waxahachie is not small but our little corner of the world was, so I enjoyed it!

 

Ellis Courthouse



Of course I took pictures of the beautiful study at the Bed and Breakfast.



And our room was decorated with some pretty cool things:



I love old typewriters and the dictionary beside it was a cool touch.  The table was about the coolest table I have ever seen.


When we got back I took this shot, little did I know that fence was coming down and a new one going up!

And Sophie has met a new friend:

And last but not least, to show the power of the camera, this is taken about 15 foot away and my camera actually locked onto the bee.  



Fun camera indeed.  I am still getting the hang of it but I am truly loving it.  Was it worth the price tag?  Oh yes.  Worth all the work I put in. 

This will make taking portraits soooo much easier!  And since I have a swivel screen my self portraits will be much easier.  Happy Lil Photographer I am!

I got to celebrate a quiet Wednesday reflecting on the significance of the day.  I actually did not have any nightmares!

 By chance, looking for a book to read I came across a website that had, of all things, archives of the Weird Tales magazine.  Now the significance of this is that 1) I love pulp fiction (horror/fantasy/sci fi) and 2) This magazine comes from that era.  

 So when I saw this:


 I was utterly stoked!  Lovecraft, Robert E Howard, Edgar Burroughs to name a few all within the pages and all some of my favorite authors!   So I have been able to sit down and read some favorites and some new articles as well!  

So I am reading happily and taking a lot of pictures!  I have been having a good relaxing time!  Thank you everyone for your prayers, love and support!


Baa


Comments

Popular Posts