Week 10 and 11 Birthday and Being asked Photography Questions

 So took a hiatus off last week since it was my birthday!  Yes, turned the big 53.  Lol, some of you are going, your just a spring chicken and others of you are going, your olllddddd!!!!   Actually my joints are where I feel it the most.  I had been going up and down two flights of stairs at an apartment complex at work and my right knee sure was feeling it!  But I had a good birthday!  Ginger made my favorite pie, my Mom's famous pink lemonade pie (that was not pink lol!):

Ginger likes to put her artistic flair with the food coloring and it was delicious!  Also got to go to Chili's and eat a Southern Smokehouse Burger!  Lots of calories but boy is that thing delicious!  And I got my taxes done!  I was pretty productive last weekend!  And Mark called to sing me happy birthday, Asia and Teddy did as well, and Ginger did!  Thanks to all your beautiful voices!

So as a photographer I am asked two questions all the time.  The first is, I want to start taking pictures, what camera should I buy?  To which I ask a series of questions:

How much do you want to spend (hardly anyone answers this question truth be told)

What do you want to photograph?  Landscape, wildlife, action, macro, portraits, family, etc.

Do you want a fixed lens (cheaper) or a system like mine that has detachable lens (expensive).  

Maybe I need to make a copy of this blog post link and just send them here.

Because usually I end up telling them what kind of system I have and that will answer the expensive to cheaper option.  Because then the next questions are usually:

How do I learn how to photograph and how do you enter contests?

Okay.  First question.  I taught myself.  I have magazines I get, I have books I read, I have videos I watch but experience is the best teacher.  With digital, as opposed to film, you can take hundreds of pictures and not waste film.  The recent snow storm I took a little over 250 I believe and got about 20 plus keepers.  

How do I enter contests.  Okay, I got into photography because I have a passion for creativity.  From drawing, to pours, to photography I do it for the love of creating.  I am not the best person to ask for this.  Photography is therapy to me.  Yes, I have made money with it.  Yes, I have been published, and yes I have entered contests and won.  But that is not the primary reason I do what I do.   I currently have a Canon 5d Mark III with 4 lens.  I have used them all extensively.  The 5d was made in 2012 and is currently considered ancient and yet still used alot (like Windows 7 lol).  I am just now, just now to the point where I am ready to upgrade because there is a newer Canon out now that has all the things I have been looking for in a camera and I know what those things can help me with.  And I have been saving a LONG time.  Longer, in fact, than the camera that I want has been out.  But when it came out I knew, here it is.  So lets go back to that first question, how much are you willing to spend?  For me, the $3800 price tag is worth it.  Why?  Because I know what I want and this does what I want.  If the camera that did that was $1000, I would get it.  So the odd jobs, working on Saturday's, coming home tired is worth it.  Because I fund my hobby almost exclusively outside of my paycheck.  We call my savings manure money for all the manure I have shoveled to get it lol!  But I have done more than that. 

So the second question, what do you want to shoot?

See there is a method to my madness.  This can be an expensive hobby.  It can also be a rush looking for that one shot.  I lose track of time shooting.  I got in trouble one time for shooting a picture of a bird nest on the clock at work (yes I should have waited for lunch).  I would hate for someone to spend a whole bunch of money and then decide, nah, not for me too hard.  But my mind is always looking, thinking.  I have an idea board.  There is a train track by my parents house in Iowa that I have been wanting to photograph for years.  But haven't found the right shot yet.  Years people.  You have to be patient.  I want to photograph lightning but haven't found the right shot yet.  Years people.  Can you be that patient?

Because here is the deal.  Taking pictures is easy.  Taking good, quality pictures consistently is hard.  It takes practice and patience.  It takes mistakes.  Sometimes you leave a place thinking you got the shot only to get home, get it on your computer and find your focus was on the hair, not eyes, or a tree branch, etc.  And so you do it all over again.  And your gonna make mistakes.  Your gonna set your aperture wrong, or have the wrong shutter speed, etc. and not get the shot.  But on the flip side of that, your gonna get the shot.  Your gonna get to your computer and go wow.  Nothing like it. 

 And my first piece of advise, take it off auto.  Learn how to shoot in Aperture mode, Shutter Priority, Manual.  Learn what Bulb means, ISO and white balance.  They all factor in. That is how you get the X factor.  Auto will get you consistent shots, semi manual and manual mode will take it to another level.  Just my opinion though.  Please read that, just my opinion.

 Your gonna have to learn an editing program if you want to do photo manipulation (which I do).  I learned Photoshop, still am, by just getting on there and teaching myself, watching tutorials, reading tutorials and practice.  And even this many years later, I am still learning so much.  If you shoot in raw your going to need a program like  Camera Raw or Capture One, and learn them because that is how you tweak your photos.  (And if your question is what is Raw and does it have to do with meat, the answer is no nothing to do with meat!)

And I could go on.  Ginger is a big part of my creative process.  Taking photos, not her thing.  But colors and composition, she is a pro.  She is able to look at things and see what I cannot.  It is good to have someone like that who can be honest.  Sometimes you may over ride them because you like that shot, but that is rare.  That said have a crew of people who can give you feedback and encouragement.  Not every shot I take is a winner, but when I have a winner, they sure let me know.  And always be willing to answer questions.  I was a newbie once.  I had lots of questions.  Now that I am more seasoned I can answer questions.  I get calls going how do you do this?  Can you help me with this?  What do you think of this?  Give back. 

You see photography for me is personal.  Each photo I take that I share is a part of me, part of my vision, part of my essence.  Once it is out in the wild, it is out, for everyone to see.  So I want to make sure my message is clear.  As I said above, photography is therapy to me.  If you want to make money at it, if you want to win contests you can.  But you have to put in the work.  You have to learn that piece or pieces of equipment you have in your hand.  Yes, some put it on auto and win or make money and that is okay I guess.  For me the process is just as fun as that final picture when you go Wow, I just did that.  And I have had plenty of people tell me, you need to do this for money.  It is hard to explain to these people at times, this goes beyond money.  And my creative process can be hampered by my depression and social anxiety disorder.  I can't just "create".  Its not like my job where they say drywall that wall.  And other artists who think like I do understand this exactly.  You may not understand so be understanding.  Your vision may not be ours.  Your advise may be well intended but understand that sometimes, other factors are involved.

 One last thing.  Support all arts and even sports (which can be an art).  I am thinking of a family I know that is full of artists.  One loves digital media and painting.  one loves guitar and basketball,  one loves skateboards and Supremes (you will have to look it up).  Another is a fellow photographer and an awesome painter.  The leader of the clan, well, he can inspire a bunch of kids to do the best that they can be in sports and in life.  A gift God blessed him with.  

 In my family, I am the photographer and paint pour person, my Mom does quilts and crossstitch.  My Dad is a wood working genius, and my brother is a graphic art and gaming guru.  

 All different talents, all art.  Find your niche.  If you don't like one thing or get burned out, go to another.  But for me the most important thing is, get out and create.

 As for me, since I do not drink alcohol, I like craft sodas.  Is it an art?  To make it is, my neighbor makes it sometimes and I get to taste it!  For me, I have no desire to make it, but sure do love drinking it!  And that is the other thing I want to leave you with.  Admire and encourage other art.  Because you just don't know why someone is doing it.  

 


 Baa

 


 My side kick on the Sophie Pillow in my lap at the computer helping me write the blog.  I will be publishing this but my editor will be home soon so I may need to edit later!  Ginger says the look on my face is concerning.  Maybe I should leave it to you dear readers to caption this photo!

 



Comments

Popular Posts