Week 40 Sophie turns 3!

 So our little girl is turning 3 tomorrow.  It is hard to believe that this little fur baby of ours are precious dog is growing up lol!

Sophie with her first toy, squirrel

So a confession.  My whole adult life I was a cat person.  We had dogs when I was a kid, Peaches and Pepper, but once they passed we had cats.  And I always loved cats, their attitude just the way they were.  But Ginger is allergic to cats.  She has been able to go to my parents with their cats without too much problem during the years.  But a little more than 3 years ago Ginger began researching dogs.  She wanted a Shih tzu since her beloved dog Sadie had passed away.  So after research, some calls, and even a delay, we drove the 3 hours to pick up our little girl.  And from day one she captured my heart, much like her Momma did when I saw her at that greeters table for the first time.  

Love ya Daddy!

 And so a cat person became a dog lover.   First time dog owners we had many people have helpful advise on how to raise her.  But we just kind of went with the flow.  As an artist I am a free spirit and I wanted Sophie to grow up in that kind of environment.  Yes we have had our share of chewed wood corners on the coffee table and even couch pillows.  Digging for gold on the couch and she is absolutely a sock bandit.  If Ginger does not keep her closet closed, Sophie will get in and grab some of Momma's socks.  Mine, well, you find mine everywhere because as a typical guy I just take them off and throw them on the floor.  I would say I have gotten better.....

Sophie is a therapy dog.  We did not plan that, teach her that, etc., she just became one.  When Ginger is not doing well you can believe that Sophie is not far from her.  In fact, after a bad day Sophie will curl up on Ginger's pillow around her head as if to protect her.  She gives me this heartwarming look like, I got this Daddy, she is safe.  And she has been that way almost from the beginning.


Mommy's Mind Protector

And she recognizes my depression.  She has her way with curling up on my lap to let me know, it's all good Dad.

Sophie is not all business though.  She loves to play and she is very playful.


She loves to hide in the covers.  And from day one she has slept in the bed with us.  She moves around (again, if Ginger has had a hard day she sleeps around her head or if Ginger is on her back she will lay on top of her).  Of course we have our rituals.  I pick her up every night and put her in the bed.  All you have to do is say ready for night night and she knows what to do!

And Sophie loves to have her picture taken.  Well, let me change that, she likes to get in the middle of pictures!  Last night I was doing a fun picture from my neices and nephew and Sophie decided she wanted to be a part of the action!


But there have been a couple of favorites:


But one of my favorites to this day is this one:

I called this one surrounded by love.  Ginger is looking down on me in her picture, there are pictures of our family and Sophie is sleeping in my arms.  Bonus, this shot one first place in Human Interests.

 

Did I mention Sophie likes to have fun?

 


Now this next shot is really special and one of the most important pictures to me.  Ginger had a week before had seizures.  One of the scariest times of my life.  Ginger may not remember but that week Sophie and Ginger were almost inseparable.  Sophie watched over Ginger like a hawk.  This shot may not win awards, but it shows what is important, this is our family and we each play a part in making it work:


 And Sophie comforted Daddy.  She stayed by Momma but she'd come over, give me a lick on the face when I got home from work and say, everything went great Dad. 

 So Sophie will never be able to read this, or understand it, she does understand the hugs, and kisses.  Ginger does not like her face licked that much, so I get the double dose.  And I don't mind, her way of showing me love.  I am forever grateful for Ginger, my soul mate.  And it was Ginger who brought this little one into our home and I can imagine Sophie is grateful to Mommy for that.  So join me in congratulating Sophie on 3 years tomorrow!


Baa







Comments

Popular Posts