Week 11: Portraits and Prayers

So I had the honor of doing some portrait work.  It's funny, really.  There was a time that taking pictures of people was not really my thing.  Or at least I thought.  But having self taught myself so much about photography and different techniques, it has become something enjoyable.  There is definitely an art to it and I still have so much to learn. 

This particular portrait came through a process.  Our good friend Michael wanted some shots with his friend Angie.  So they came over and we began discussing different options.  They said I could do whatever I wanted, but I have found that when everyone is in the process it can be a beautiful thing. 

I used natural light for this particular portrait.  Yes, I could have used flash and actually use it quite a bit in my self portraits.  But this particular shot didn't need that, it needed mood.   And when you get it right, it is a beautiful thing.  It took just 3 shots to dial in everything right.  And I love that feeling when you know you got it.  It happens to be one of my favorite shots I have taken.

Michael and Angie
I find such joy in photography.  From spiders to people to abstract it is such a joy just to create, but more importantly to see all that God has made.  Truly it can take you out of yourself and cause you to look around and see beyond yourself. 

So now a subject that Ginger and I feel we can be a little bit more open about.  We have been praying for some things and I have been somewhat vague about it.  Mostly because we really wanted to talk it over among ourselves and pray about it.  So ready to jump into the deep end of the pool?

Ginger and I have been praying about Iowa.  Specifically moving there.  My parents live there and the last time I was there I just felt like God was tugging on my heart about something so I shared it with them and Ginger.  First thing is first, we want God's will.  So do my parents. As much as they would love me there, the very first thing they, and we, want is for God's will be done.  The second thing is, this isn't something that is going to happen very soon, if God chooses this is the path for us.  There are pros and cons and Ginger and I have discussed them at length.  Ginger also let her parents know about this and to be praying for God's will.  I do not take moving their youngest 900 miles away lightly.  We do have roots here, friends, a good job, family, church.  Right now Ginger is 10 minutes away from Mom and Dad. 

So how do I feel?  I have heard that very familiar word from God that I have heard countless times, wait.  Change is hard for me and I have asked God to close doors that need to be closed and not only open the one's I need but give us the courage to walk through.  I miss my parents a lot.  I just have to be honest.  I squandered some good years with them walking in the wilderness.  And though I cannot go back and change that, I can make the time we have now special and enjoyable.  Whether that is living there or just visiting remains to be seen.

I can hear some of you now.  What about a job, a place to live, how will you move?  The short answer is, I do not know any of those answers.  But God does.  If it is meant to be, God will move in a way that will make it no doubt He is leading us.  The job I have now, the place we stay in now, both are testimonies to how God moves.  And let's not forget that God may tell me to stay here.

I also realize that because of Ginger's disorder, we have to rely upon God to guide us.  Currently we are in the middle of finding out about disability for Ginger.  She has also been going down on one of her medications and for the first time in a very long time has had no anxiety attack all week.  I cannot tell you how much of a miracle that is.

So what can you do for us?  Pray God guide us.  Do I believe God is preparing us for something?  Yes.  Is that Iowa or staying here?  I do not know.  And one thing I have learned is that when the path is not clear you wait.  Wait for the burning bush, the pillar of fire, that says okay it is time to do what it is He wants.  Please do not blast on Facebook that we are moving, etc.  We are in the stage right now of prayer.  And if it is God's will we will have a peace.  I cannot tell you how this has worked for us so many times in the past.  Wise counsel is essential.  In the mean time, we will continue to pray, enjoy our family and friends, take lots of pictures, and enjoy life. 

It does, however, feel good to have written about this now at length.  And yes, I asked Ginger first if she felt comfortable for me to write about this.  But then, this is why I started this blog.  It is a place where I can share with family and friends the things that God is doing in our lives and how we live our lives.  We may look back on this post one day and go wow, look what God did.  Because what is most important about this blog is that you see God.  See how He moves in our imperfect lives.  So pray for us (and lots of you already are!)!

Baa











Comments

Popular Posts