Week 9 and 10: Serenity


So for those that noticed, I did not write last week.  Since January when I booked a flight, I had been anxiously awaiting my Iowa birthday trip.  And as I listen to my favorite worship song right now from Hillsong United called "Touch the Sky", I am reflecting on that trip.  As most who read this blog know I started a photo series on Addiction and Recovery.  The following picture I took on the day I left Iowa and is part of that series on the Recovery side.   I was so relaxed here.  I was content.  I had one of the best vacations I could possibly have had.  Ginger was selfless in insisting I come up alone and spend some time with my parents and get some much needed relaxation. 

Serenity
Don't get me wrong, I missed my lovely wife and our fur baby Sophie.  But Ginger knows her artist.  I needed to regroup.  I need to relax with no responsibility.  I would get up and have my coffee and sit opposite of my Dad and we would read the morning away.  Or talk.  Father and Son talks, my favorite.  My pillar of wisdom for so many years, God has used my Dad in countless ways to talk through him to me.  My Dad had back surgery and I got to see for myself that God is mending him nicely.  And I had some nice talks with my Mom as well.  God has used her as my encourager and she (and Dad) have spent many hours praying for me.  And this trip, well, they got to see just how God has been answering their prayers and I got to see how He was answering mine.

So I was surprised that we actually got snow when I was up there!  On my birthday no less, there was a snow that was quite beautiful.  They see it all the time, this Texas boy, however, does not get to see it quite so much!  So what better picture than one of my Dad's bird houses!






And my Mom, the master quilter and designer, had this in front of the window:


Mom would be watching You tube videos of quilting in the study/computer room.  I love this picture because I have seen my Mom and Dad both here, studying, meditating and probably praying a few times.





And for my birthday I got to have fantastic Ribeye steak and a Raspberry cream coffee and chocolate cream cupcake.  Can you say Yum!


But all vacations must come to an end.  The trip home was uneventful (which is good), and Ginger came down the stairs as I was getting out of the car and gave me quite a kiss and hug!  To say she was happy to see me was an understandment!  And I came home to find out she had made one of my favorite pies!


Sophie did not forget me, in fact she jumped all over me!  Ginger made sure to mention me often while I was gone.  God took care of them both while I was gone, special thanks to Matt and Laura and Ginger's parents.  We are truly blessed to have them in our lives.

Okay so the week before I did have my week 9 photo!  This was taken at a house I was working at:


In the theme of recovery, it makes me think of all the many ways and help those of us with addictions get.  On the outer parts there are many people that help but as you move in and circle around you find everyone is all working for one purpose.  I have too many people to list here who have helped me in my recovery but I can say this, I am thankful to God for each and every one.  I am refreshed now and ready to continue this journey called life.  And my Mom and Dad, well, I love them with all my heart after all they never gave up, they just gave me to God, and everything I am now I owe to that.

Baa

Comments

Popular Posts